Aloo Posto recipe with step by step photos – aloo posto is a traditional Bengali recipe of potatoes in a lightly spiced poppy seeds paste. of course, aloo means potatoes and posto means poppy seeds in the Bengali language.
Bengali cuisine has some unique characteristics apart from all the countries. Bengalis especially known for Chenna which is a type of cheese sweets like rosogulla, cham cham, Sandesh, mishit doi and many more.
Mostly Bengalis prefer rice instead of roti or chapattis and some peppy dishes like Began Bhaja, Aloo Posto, Bengali Matarsutir Dal, Bati Chori Chori, Healthy Stuffed luchi (poori) Bengali style Okra, Bhaja moong dal, shoji Diya and many more.
Even Non-Bengalis were also made this recipe on the occasion of Durga pooja. It is one of the best veg traditional recipes from Bengali cuisine. Now a Days Aloo Posto is one of my favorite dish from Bengali region. They have their own panch phoron (spices) to get a special flavor in their dishes.
Aloo Posto is one of the best and easy to make Mouth Watering recipe for all the Bengalis, it is one of the authentic recipes which is made from rich poppy seeds, kalonji, green chilies and many more which is served by steamed rice (Bhaat).
There is no need to add garlic and onion but if you want to add then you can add for some extra flavor in a dish. Always remember do not take the fragrance of poppy seeds, because if they start rancid it will spoil all the dish. So, always remember this thing.
Aloo Posto is always served with steamed rice it is the best combination to eat a delicious dish with steamed rice, but you can also prefer roti, parathas, poori or anything else… I got this recipe from my neighbor’s aunt, she belongs from the Bengali family and I learned this dish from her only.
Basically, Aloo means potatoes and Posto means poppy seeds (khus-khus). The three main ingredients for making Aloo Posto is Poppy Seeds, kalonji, and Mustard oil.
Here I tell you to step by step and complete the process to make Bengali Aloo Posto Dish, Follow this recipe and make a yummy delicious dish for your loved ones. I definitely know you all love this delicious dish.
Ingredients For Aloo Posto
|For Posto Paste-|
|– 3 tablespoons white poppy seeds (khus khus)|
|– ¼ Cup Water For Soaking|
|– 1 tablespoon water for grinding|
|– 1 green chili – roughly chopped (Hari Mirch)|
|Other Ingredients for Aloo Posto|
|– 300 grams potatoes OR 2 large potatoes (aloo)|
|– 2 tablespoons mustard oil|
|– ½ teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)|
|– ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (Haldi) – optional|
|– 2 green chilies – whole with their crowns removed|
|– salt as required|
|– ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required|
|– ¼ teaspoon sugar (optional)|
Making poppy seeds paste for Aloo posto
1. Soak 3 tablespoons poppy seeds in 1/4 cup water, i usually soak the poppy seeds overnight, so that the grinding is easier. otherwise, they don’t grind well. if you forget the soaking, then soak at least for a couple of hours in warm water.
2. After overnight soaking, use a fine-mesh strainer and drain all the water.
3. Add the poppy seeds in a small chutney grinder.
4. Add 1 green chili and 1 tablespoon water.
5. Grind to a fine paste, and add more water if required while grinding.
Making aloo posto
1. Next rinse, peel and chop 2 large potatoes .
2. Heat 2 tablespoons mustard oil in a pan or kadai and let it smoke on a medium flame.
3. Lower the flame and add 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds(kalonji).
4. Stir and saute the nigella seeds for a few seconds.
5. Add the chopped potatoes.
6. Mix very well with oil and seeds.
7. On a low flame saute the potatoes, stirring at times, till they are half done or they become faint golden from the
Cooking Aloo Posto
Tips for making aloo posto :-
- Add water as required.
- Green chili can be skipped while preparing the aloo posto paste
- Addition of turmeric powder is optional.
- Use poppy seeds which are in their shelf period.
- You can also add a bit of sugar for a slight sweet taste.
- Red chilli powder can also be added.